Thursday, January 12, 2012

The object/ Body Presentation

The Object 


The concept revolving around the idea of the brief was to look at an issue that concerned me so I decided to look at addiction. Due to personal reasons I wanted to portray the idea of medical addiction. I would do this by using tablets and replicating behaviour of someone close to me. I was concerned with the amount of medication this person consumed and it will only ever increase which saddens me. However I will photograph this through the use of replicating how the medication is stored.

Influences 


Taddeo Gaddi



The above painting by Taddeo Gaddi  from the eighteenth Century allows me to start understanding how to organise and construct my own Still life. This image in particular inspired me due to my mum keeping her tablets in a cupboard  where plates are also kept objects that I would like to include in my still life. I thought this image would allow me to build upon different references I could use when creating my photograph. 


Francisco de Zurbaran 


The layout again is what drew my attention to this image. This sixteenth century painter has clearer allowed structure to be a huge part of this painting by the three clears objects. I wanted to portray the idea of structure clearly in my photography as structure is a huge part of my mums life and the way in which she takes her tablets is very structured. 

Gareth McConnell



McConnell's work is being used a visual reference to what subjects I would like to be in focus. Due to the medication being stored on shelf amongst other objects such as cups and plates I want to incorporate those elements into my project as this adds character and doesn't portray level of normality to the viewer this isn't an everyday occurance. In my photograph I will have the medication in focus as this is the focal point of the photograph and have the plates in the background as this isn't the focus but I want them to still be visually seen as it adds a sense of character.

Test Shoot 1







I wanted to start off the development of my photographs by first off portraying how structured the medicine take is through the use of four separate piles I also wanted to portray the vast amount of tablets my mother consumes in one day. I feel photograph one portrays the idea better out of the two however I do not feel this is how I want the photographs or the addiction to be viewed as.

Photo shoot 2 




I felt that the use of a shallow depth of field works well with this body of work and will work well for my final outcome. The use of the shallow depth of field will draw the viewers eye onto the detail of the medication and will allow the viewer to understand the amount of medication which my mother consumes




Final Photograph.



In evaluation to the creation of this project and body of work I have found great inspiration from painters and how to arrange my work in order to portray a certain narrative. The work of McConnell also helped me in order to make correct lighting choices and the style of depth of field I wanted in my work. I am over whelmed by the end result of this project and I feel I took this project as far as I could have. If I could have re-shot the image I would have made the camera positioning a tiny bit higher so it doesn't look like were looking up at the tablets as I don't want the viewer to feel that these tablets are mightier as there not there addictive. 


The Body

The concept revolving around the brief was to find someone unknown to you and photograph them. I decided that I wanted to photograph an element of uniform found in society. I wanted to photograph someone in which their job came with a prop something to help the viewer relate to. I decided that I would photograph a cafeteria worker I wanted to portray elements of her personality through the use of her uniform. 


Irving Penn




I am particularly fond of this image and the manner in which the model comes across and portrays his personality to the viewer. The character is perceived as a fireman hence the uniform  but his personality comes across as a soft but dominating character we see this through the way in which he holds the axe. I am fond of the lighting in this image the lighting appears to be all natural something which I will not be able to gain but I do like the tones which appear in this image something which I aim to create in my own work.


Cornell Capa




Capa has created an amazing piece of photography  I like the way in which he has used objects to create his narrative to the viewer, we normally feel a story through the use of the eyes but I feel the use of the bare feet screwed up tells us a lot about the emotion of these characters. I am inspired by his work as it will help me to understand how the placement of objects help us in order to create a narrative and allow the viewer to understand the story the photographer is trying to reveal.

Rembrandt Lighting 


After a studio workshop I had attended I had realised that the style of lighting I wanted portrayed in my portrait was in a similar way to that of Rembrandt and what he had used on his paintings. I wanted to use soft lights as I don't want the fact to be blocked out I want detail to be portrayed throughout the face. 






Richard Avedon


Avedon has used similar techniques to that of the Rembrandt style paintings. I am particularly inspired by the portrait of Sir Paul McCartney I feel his portrait is much more subtle than the other three, his portrait is how I want mine to be viewed as an identified as subtle but with some harsh tonnage I want the face to show detail and grip the viewer. 

Test Shoot 


I decided that for my final outcome I would do a test shoot in order to achieve the correct f stop and exposure. I wanted to make sure that the lighting was correct and that everything was set up in order to portray what my aim was at the beginning of the project.


Contact Sheet towards Final Outcome 



The above two images are contact sheets of my Photo shoot for my final outcome I wanted to keep on shooting for two rolls of film in order to achieve the best result and gain insight into the personality of this uniformed worker.




Final Outcome





In evaluation I have come to realise that however there is not harsh tones or complete visible resemblance with the Rembrandt paintings I feel my photograph shows a subtle version. I am really pleased with this image I feel it portrays what I wanted to achieve. It shows an insight into the cafeteria workers character. 
If i shot this image again I would do a few things slightly different I wouldn't use such a shallow depth of fied of f.5.6 I would use around f.8 -11 so the object is in slight focus.I would also want the model to feel at slight ease in front of the camera and show more character than what was shown.
















No comments:

Post a Comment